Brisket on Rye
A simple sandwich that is more meat than bread.
1. Green Meadows beef brisket
2. Culley’s smoked salt
3. Freshly cracked black pepper
4. Mustard Makers – Hot mustard
5. Aromatic herbs – celery, carrot, onion, garlic, thyme, rosemary, bay leaves.
6. Stock or dark beer to cover bottom of tray 2-3cm deep (approximately 1 litre)
1. Saurkraut (we like the Be Nourished brand)
2. Pickles (we like Woodstock Organic Kosher baby dill pickles)
1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celcius.
2. Smear the brisket with a tablespoon or two of mustard and season with lots of salt and pepper (don’t be shy, use more than you think is necessary!) In a high walled roasting dish cook uncovered in hot oven for 30mins to set the crust. Then set up a bed of aromatic herbs by roughly chopping carrot, onion, celery, crushing garlic cloves and sprinkling the herbs into the base of the dish so the brisket it is surround by and on top of the herbs. Fill the roasting dish with enough stock, beer, wine or water to fill the dish with 2-3cm of liquid. Cover with moistened baking paper and seal the dish with tinfoil. Cook for 3 hours, cool in liquid. Best sliced thinly when cold then reheated.